Colombia. The Communications Regulatory Commission publishes the 2023 Edition of Monitoring of Technological and Consumer Trends, with relevant information on technological advances that may modify our sector environment and the consumption habits of communications services.
The document corresponds to a forward-looking vision strategy, for which the CRC carries out research and periodic monitoring that allows anticipating the changes generated by technological evolution that may influence the ICT, Postal or Audiovisual sector in the country, and contributes to sharing knowledge with the different value groups with which the commission interacts. in a clear and concise manner.
To carry out the study, the Commission relied on the consultation of relevant sources on the topics analyzed, including multilateral organizations such as the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), as well as the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC). In addition, it considered data and studies published by consulting firms such as Deloitte, PwC, Statista, OMDIA, among other companies specializing in the field.
Some of the most relevant data at a global level, which interested parties will be able to consult within the document are:
- It is estimated that by 2025 there will be approximately 50 billion devices connected to the internet.
- By the end of 2023, the average global monthly usage per smartphone is expected to exceed 20GB and reach 47GB by the end of 2028.
- The share of 5G in mobile data traffic went from 9% in 2021 to 15% in 2022, it is expected to reach 66% by 2028.
- It is estimated that there are currently 4880 million social media users, which is equivalent to approximately 60% of the world's population. Every second there are approximately 5.5 new users on these networks.
- E-commerce is expected to grow by about 11.8% annually over the next 4 years.
- Generative AI became widespread in 2023. A specific case corresponds to the use of Chat GPT, which had more than 60 million queries between January and March 2023, placing Colombia in second place in Latin America.
- Video streaming revenue (SVoD) is estimated to exceed $139 billion annually by 2027.
"Knowledge of the ecosystem is a strategic pillar of the CRC, relevant in its mission work. This monitoring allows us to know the main technological trends applicable to the regulated sectors in order to understand the changing environments we face in the framework of a constantly evolving scenario, providing the opportunity to maintain an anticipatory approach." Nicolás Silva Cortés, Commissioner and Executive Director of the CRC, concluded.